Step 1: Check your eligibility
Are you a UBC student?
- Congratulations! As an Alma Mater Society (AMS) club, we welcome all UBC students to join the band. At the end of the year, you’re even eligible to help lead the band as part of our executive team.
- That’s okay. Most of us are UBC students, but a few of us aren’t, and as long as you can make time to attend our rehearsals and gigs, you’re still welcome to join! Since you’re not a member of the AMS, we have to charge a slightly higher membership fee ($15 instead of $10), and you aren’t eligible to run for our executive, but you still get to enjoy all the other perks of being a band member!
Do you play an instrument?
- Yep, I play a brass/woodwind/percussion instrument.
- Excellent! Brass, woodwind, and percussion are standard in marching bands, so you’ll fit right in!
- Well, I play violin/viola/cello/guitar/piano…
- We think all musicians are awesome, so we’ll find you a spot! If you know how to read music you can play cymbals or bass drum. Piano players find it easy to switch to glockenspiel, and we have electric bass and keyboard players in our ranks at indoor gigs. Of course, if you really want to join us on the instrument you already play, we won’t stop you!
- No, but this marching band thing sounds really cool and I really want to be a part of it!
- Go ahead and sign up anyway! Learning an instrument isn’t that hard if you put in even a tiny bit of effort, and we would be more than willing to teach you. If it doesn’t work out, hey, at least you tried!
Basically, we welcome everyone who loves music and fun, regardless of experience, so don’t be afraid to join!
Step 2: Fill out our Interest Form!
Filling out our interest form helps us get to know you before you come to rehearsal - this way we’ll have materials like sheet music ready to go!
Step 3: Attend our first rehearsal of the year!
TMB’s rehearsals are a great way to meet new people with similar interests, learn some awesome music, and practice marching! We’ve tentatively set this rehearsal on Tuesday, September 5th, from 6:30-8:00PM. Enjoy an awesome Imagine Day, then swing on by to rehearsal to see what we’re all about!
Follow us on social media and spread the word!
- Facebook: Thunderbird Marching Band
- Twitter: @ubctmb - our hashtag is #HailUBC
- Instagram: @ubctmb
- Flickr: ThunderbirdMB
- SoundCloud: ubctmb
Learn our school songs
If you’re really excited to join, you can get a head start by practicing UBC’s fight songs and our Alma Mater. This is completely optional, and we’ll teach you these songs at Retreat too, but the more familiar you are with these songs, the more time you’ll spend at retreat playing our fun rock charts!