Table of Contents
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Are you a UBC student?
- Congratulations! As an Alma Mater Society (AMS) club, we welcome all UBC students to join the band. At the end of the year, you’re even eligible to help lead the band as part of our executive team.
- That’s okay. Most of us are UBC students, but a few of us aren’t, and as long as you can make time to attend our rehearsals and gigs, you’re still welcome to join! Since you’re not a member of the AMS, we have to charge a slightly higher membership fee ($15 instead of $10), and you aren’t eligible to run for our executive, but you still get to enjoy all the other perks of being a band member!
Do you play an instrument?
- Yep, I play a brass/woodwind/percussion instrument.
- Excellent! Brass, woodwind, and percussion are standard in marching bands, so you’ll fit right in!
- Well, I play violin/viola/cello/guitar/piano…
- We think all musicians are awesome, so we’ll find you a spot! If you know how to read music you can play cymbals or bass drum. Piano players find it easy to switch to glockenspiel, and we have electric bass and keyboard players in our ranks at indoor gigs. Of course, if you really want to join us on the instrument you already play, we won’t stop you!
- No, but this marching band thing sounds really cool and I really want to be a part of it!
- Go ahead and sign up anyway! Learning an instrument isn’t that hard if you put in even a tiny bit of effort, and we would be more than willing to teach you. If it doesn’t work out, hey, at least you tried!
Basically, we welcome everyone who loves music and fun, regardless of experience, so don’t be afraid to join!
Step 2: Register for Fall Retreat
The TMB spends four days before classes start at Retreat, where we learn our marching style, music, and get to know everyone. For Fall 2016, Retreat is from August 30 - September 2nd, and all our new members are especially encouraged to attend. If you’re not from Vancouver, we can even help you find accommodations! Click here to register for retreat.
Step 3: Save the date and check your email!
Talk to your boss/parents/friends now and clear your schedule of any other commitments from Tuesday, August 30th through Friday, September 2nd, since you won’t want to miss any of Retreat! Near the end of June, we will contact you by email to confirm your attendance at Retreat, help you find a place to stay if you need one, and provide you with more details about what to expect. Haven’t heard from us by then? Give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure you’re registered.
Join our Facebook group
On our Prospective Members’ Group, you can meet some of our returning members, ask questions about the band or UBC in general, and get a taste of what to expect once you join!
Follow us on social media and spread the word!
- Facebook: ThunderbirdMB
- Twitter: @ThunderbirdMB - our hashtag is #HailUBC
- Instagram: @ubctmb
- Flickr: ThunderbirdMB
- SoundCloud: ThunderbirdMB
Learn our school songs
If you’re really excited to join, you can get a head start by practicing UBC’s fight songs and our Alma Mater. This is completely optional, and we’ll teach you these songs at Retreat too, but the more familiar you are with these songs, the more time you’ll spend at retreat playing our fun rock charts!